Warm Demanders are often our Sleeping Giants

I first learned about the term “warm demanders” a few months ago. Essentially, it means teachers who are kind and caring but also hold students accountable to appropriately rigorous standards. They’re the educators that don’t overly praise, don’t smile falsely; they have a true sense of what it means to nurture. The term warm demanders really helped me to put a name to what I admire so much about certain teachers I observe. They appear to innately know when to support and when to let go – all while keeping a watchful eye on the students they have grown to know and care so much about.

Ironically, they are not always the most popular teachers. They are often not the teachers parents request, they are not very vocal during meetings, and often go about the work they do without asking for assistance. They tend to work quietly without complaint. They do their jobs without looking for praise. It’s not in their nature. They are sleeping giants who can easily rise to become teacher leaders.

These giants are skilled listeners. When they speak I listen carefully because I know their words are carefully chosen and their observations have undergone reflection. Warm demanders navigate teaching with care and precision. Their egos are healthy but not obtrusive. They plan carefully and when asked about their students they easily share specific knowledge about their unique abilities and struggles.

I liken it to parents that know that ultimately we need to prepare our beloved children to be independent thinkers and doers. In fact, that may be the most important aspect of good parenting. Providing safe, secure and loving environments is critical for sure, but if they end up living in our basements after graduation have we really done our job well?

Our warm demanders are the teachers that are best preparing our students for their future and I greatly admire their work.

One thought on “Warm Demanders are often our Sleeping Giants

1. I’ve never heard the term “warm demander” but it makes so much sense. The first thing is really to try to establish a relationship with students so trust can happen. If they know you care about them, students might just push themselves a little harder if you show them that you believe in them. I enjoyed this post, Pam.